Saturday, July 4, 2009

My un-love story

It all happened one sunny afternoon at my nanny's house.
I loved the nanny. We had many parts of the day; reading, playing, disney movie time, then (my favorite) Popsicle time!!! One fateful day, I got my first kiss.

Just like every other friday, I picked out the blue otter pop (because why eat any other flavor?) and went out side to play with the other kids. Some of the boys started making fun of me (who knows why, probably I had an accident {I tend to have those a lot and not even just as a child...}). In order to avoid the mocking, I went and hid under the trampoline.

Durring my crying session, I was joined by the most amazing little boy. He joined me, quieted me from my tears and reassured me that all those boys are jurks and to just let it go, then he leaned in and kissed me!!! (Mind you, I was probably 6 or 7 so my memories could be scewed a bit).

Getting a little closer to my point, that was the moment I realizezd that I COULD love. I now knew what love was. Someone carring about you enough to dry your tears and reassure you that all men are jerks, that is love.

It only took a few days for me to realize: love it may be, but not true love. You see, he ignored me from then on out and denied ever kissing me to all the guys. So, the only logical conclusion a six year old could make was, never feel love and never get hurt.

I came to that conclusion when I was six. 17 years ago I learned that it is better to not love someone than to love them and have them hurt you. I have tried hard to live by that rule my whole life. However, there have been times when I have let my guard fall. This happened because I did not find out at such a young age if it were necessary to apply this rule to both romantic and non romantic friends.

That is something that was learned over and over again all through elementary school, highshchool, on the mission, and afterwards.

Finally getting to my point; don't doubt yourself or the advice your six-year-old self gives you.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

This post makes me very sad. And also, I'd like an otter pop now.

I'm sorry you had to learn a hard lesson so young.