Monday, October 19, 2009

Two of my favorite things

I love few things in this world.
The majority of the things on my love list are things that are unconditional, like my family. Anything else on the list, has had to make it through the thick barbed wire wall around my heart and has to work hard to stay in there.
Two of those things that have made it in and have never been kicked out....

Christmas Time

and

Cabbage Patch Dolls
.


Without a doubt, these two loves of mine could make me happy on the worst of days.
Why do I love these things? Let's look into this a little more...

Christmas time has many variables of happiness:
  • MUSIC- Constant Christmas music. For the most part Christmas music brings up Christ and his birth. I love the fact that living in the world we do, we can still hear about Christ as we drive to work and school. The few that don't mention Christ but focus on Santa are still happy because they stir up memories of a childhood that was so much more simple than "adult" life.
  • SMELL- There are so many smells that are equated with Christmas. First and foremost, the smell of a fresh pine tree (just pretending to breath it in makes me fill with happiness). Peppermint is readily abundant during the Christmas season; it is put in baked goods, Starbucks hot chocolate, my bath and body works hand soap, candles... Pumpkin spice in a pie or in scented candles makes me feel warm and tingly inside. I could go on and on...
  • CHIMES - the sound of giving and the official start of the season is when there are people standing out side the grocery store with a bell and a red hanging bucket collecting donations for the salvation army.
  • GIVING- I love finding things that are special and meaningful to give those I love. It is fun to think of something unique that my siblings will get a kick out of. I also love being able to help those who are struggling {When I was a junior in High school, I was in charge of getting the gifts for a family that we adopted for Christmas. My good friend Camille and I went shopping with the donated money and we picked out things that we thought each of the children would like and need. We then wrapped them and delivered them. That was one of the most gratifying moments of my life. To see the love that this family felt for those who were willing to extend a helping hand. The smiles on their faces were priceless.}
  • COLD - It never really gets cold here in Arizona, but for a full blood Arizonan who has never lived in a cooler climate, it is amazingly cold when it gets 50 degrees F out side. That is the one time of the year that I can use my cute coats, scarves, long sleeved shirts, and boots. (which consists of more than half of my wardrobe. You would think that since there are more summer months than winter ones, I would have more summer clothes, but alas I love my winter clothes!)
  • SMILES
  • SHOPPING
  • BAKING
  • EATING
  • FAMILY
  • LIGHTS
*** I AM GOING TO STOP HERE BUT I COULD GO ON...





Cabbage patch dolls:
  • SMELL - I don't know why, but cabbage patch dolls have a distinct aroma that fills my soul with happiness.
  • CUTENESS - just look at that doll, how cute is that.
  • NOSTALGIA - I always had one of these as a child. {except for the brief period that one got its head ran over. Michael, my older brother, sneakily took my doll and put it under the tire of my dad's parked car. The next time my dad left, he ran over the poor things head. Thanks Michael!}
So, needless to say, if any one or anything wants to get into my heart they have to equal up to Christmas and cabbage patch dolls.

3 comments:

Lindsey said...

I love the smell Of cabbage patch dolls!!! Haha! And I can hardly wait till Christmas.

Camille said...

The last picture makes me LAUGH, laugh. You're awesome.

Also, how random is this: a few nights ago, Kyle kept sniffing around my head. I didn't really think anything of it because, you know...sometimes people just need to sniff. But a few minutes later, he was still sniffing, and I said, "What, do I stink?"

And you know what he said? He said, "No, you smell AMAZING. You smell like...like...A CABBAGE PATCH DOLL!" I was wearing strawberries and champagne lotion from VS. I, having never experienced the joy of owning a cabbage patch doll, can not confirm whether or not I do, in fact, smell like one. But Kyle seems to think I do.

So maybe that's why you love me so much. : )

Alicia Faye said...

Chels I love that picture in your header! You are adorable.
Also, I am very sad to know that Camille never owned a cabbage patch doll. I cannot imagine my childhood without mine. I only had two, but they were my dear friends and I still have them. Life was always better with a cabbage patch doll close by :)