Thursday, August 28, 2008

Hippies: They're still around?

Little did i know that there is still such a thing as a hippie. I thought they were out with the 60's; however, I met one this week so i am now an eyewitness that they are still out there. 




I am a student at ASU. (There is a further blog that will explain why i am goin
g through this stage of self-mutilation).  I am also POOR, POOR, POOR! I live off of blood
 money (also known as student loans). Such circumstances inevitably lead me to taking the bus to school. Ohhh, how i love the ever trust worthy Valley Metro. When I see one of those turquoise and purple chariots coming to sweep me off of my feet, amaze me with such luxury, and get me to any said location in a bli
nk of an eye, I get an uncontrollable pitter patter in my little heart. 

As to savour every second of a dream come true, I am sure to have my i-pod in, on, and loud even before stepping one foot into the chariot.  It is also imperative to have ones hands occupied with a book. Any book. I've monitored the reaction from Harry Potter, Twilight, the Ensign, and even books in Portugues. The reaction is always the same (or at least i read it the same): "If she can really read that boo
k then why the ____ is she so poor that she has to ride the bus using a free card? She must be faking it!" 


I mean i am no psychic but when i see people staring at me while i read, i assume the above mentioned thought went through their head. 

Back to the hippies. Just try if you please to imagine me on a bus. Trying to save my image by looking intelligent. ( I mean a person who can listen to music and read a book at the same time must be intelligent, so they have an excuse to be on a bus). Earphones in and book in hand. I have tried all possible to make my appearance NON inviting.  I wouldn't talk to me if i were sitting next to me on a bus, who would? 

PACMAN, 

that is who. One such hippie, born 50 years too late, with a "street" name of Pacman tapped me on the shoulder and told me she wanted to talk to me. In one rush hour ride from mill and university to alma school and university, I learned more about drugs and raves and blood fests than I had ever before known. I left that bus not only feeling that sticky gringey feeling on my hands, positive that druggie smell transferd onto myself, but also quite entertained. Would a high, hippie, pacman have made it a personal goal to drug anyone who sat next to her or was I specially picked to receive such a privilege?  

If I go unseen for days and don't answer my cell phone, rest assured that i am having the best time of my life learning the trade secrets of train jumping across the world!!! 

Hippie Power!! 
Tie-dye all the way!!!

3 comments:

lindsay said...

shooooot...i bet she wasnt as cool as that crazy lady who grabbed us and told us about her life-living out of her car and how we too could choose to live such an adventure!

Camille said...

HA! Valley Metro, a Chariot??? That's funny.

Almost as funny as your friend Pacman (who I kind of feel is my friend too. Is that okay?).

Love ya.

Oh. I'm at house now. 4:48. THanks for getting me here.

RatalieNose said...

oh my