Wednesday, September 3, 2008

"New York City

center of the universe. Times are [crappy], but I'm pretty sure they can't get worse..."

I LOVE NY!!!
So much so that I could never put an apple in place of the word Love.
I do not apple NY, I LOVE NY.


I have been only three times in my short life and have another trip schedu
led. (Sadly enough not until 2010, remember, I'm POOR POOR POOR!) Each of these three experiences changed my life. The first time I went was right out of High School with Lindsay and Rhonda. It was amazing. everything I had always dreamed of, well ok, a little stinkier than I had dreampt of. At that time also, I was poor. (not POOR POOR POOR, just poor). So, I did everything in my power to make the trip as frugal as possible. So, we stayed in a Hostel.


To those of you who may not know what a hostel is, let me change your life. It is like a dorm or a homeless shelter. Instead of renting a room with a bathroom and a little fridge, you rent a bed. Depending on the Hostel this bed can be in an all girls room or it can be in a co-ed room. It can have a bathroom and/or sink in each room or only one per floor. There are really a billion different varieties. They are all over, i also stayed in one when i was in New Zealand and one in London. The cheap traveler doesn't need accommodations just a bed.

My second trip to NY was just a few short years later after I was employed with US Airways. So the trip was FREE FREE FREE. well, the air fair was at least. At two months at the job I had my free benefits but no buddie passes. So i decided to go ALONE. I was 19 and discovering my self and my nerves. I bought two tickets off line to see Three Days of Rain starring Julia Roberts and Bradley Cooper. I had to get two because they only came in twos. Which inevitably lead to me fulfilling a life long goal: scalp a ticket. I, Chelsie Akers, scalped a ticket to a play in New York City. Which is scary when you realize that i would be sitting next to the guy i sold the ticket to. (He wasn't a creap, just a typical man. He had no idea what was going on in the play so I had to explain always what was going on. If you don't get theater, don't go!)

I flew in on a red-eye and later that same day was the play. The play ended about mid-night and being a pro at the NY subway system I got the the airport fast as can be; however, my return flight didn't leave till 5am (and it was overbooked, not good for a non-rev). Not wanting to pay, for just a few hours at a hostel I decided to wait it out at the airport. Little did I know that all the terminals don't stay open 24/7. So i had to search for one that did. Once I found a terminal that wouldn't kick me out, i found a nice cozy nitch and took a nap. No one showed up for that 5 am flight so i not only got on, I got first class for the first time, also a life goal!!!

The last time I went to NY it was also an adventure. I found an agency that rents out apartments by the week. So, I got a group of 12 together and we split the rent and stayed about 6 days right in the heart of NY. This trip was also monumental. I rode on a horse drawn carriage in central park, crossing that off my life goal list. Also, Camille and I took a day trip to Hoboken NJ, crossing one more state off the list. And I ate at a "fancy" restaurant dressed up nice in order to cross that too off the list.


Along with being a fan of NY I am also a die hard fan of RENT. Also known as a "rent head". Without having to say it, my favorite parts of the trip all are tied to RENT. We saw it live on Broadway, I think it was 4th row!! Then, on the way back a good friend of mine, Adrian, acted a scene out for all of us on the subway. Sorry that this is sideways, but it is the best I can do.



(The good stuff starts at 40 seconds)

I LOVE RENT!!!!

4 comments:

lindsay said...

oh those were some good times. Adrian singing Rent on an actual NY subway is probably one of the funniest memories i have....esp when you catch a glimpse of the OTHER PEOPLE on the subway giving him dirty looks and probably thinking "stupid out of towners".
awesome! i miss it so much!

lindsay said...

and why the heck did i film that sideways???
must have been all that subway exhaust going to my head(?)

Camille said...

AAAAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I LOVE AND APPLE NEW YORK AND THIS POST!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Wahoo! ANd this video. and you. and the line "kind of like a dorm or a homeless shelter." YOu rock my world, gus.

Lindsey said...

I love love love this post! I will NEVER [not in a MILLION years] forgive myself for not going on that trip to NY with you guys. It is on my list of life goals to go there too... 2010!

And yes, hostels WILL change your life. If that change is for the better is debatable, but they are an adventure for sure!