Saturday, September 13, 2008

I'm a Hopeless Romantic who Doesn't Believe in Love

You ask yourselves "how can that even be possible?" Well, I don't know how in the world it happened but it did. I am freak of nature.

Let's define a hopeless romantic:

  • One who reads ridiculous amounts of sappy romance novels, which all have utterly the same story line; however, one still gets sucked in and loves every couple that happily ends up together.

  • One who watches Grey's Anatomy till 3 in the morning and cries through the last episode because after a marriage of 40 years, a husband dies to leave his wife alone.

  • One who has a dream wedding all thought out, flowers, dresses, music, and even the only ring one would ever settle for already picked out. I'm talking the whole nine yards.

  • One who's mentality is that to be "grown up" one must be married and/or have children.

  • One who dies on the inside with the thought of losing a loved one. Namely a future husband or child.

  • One who watches chick flick after chick flick, only to be left depressed at how cute "they" are together.

  • One who reads Hearts in Hiding yearly.

OK OK OK!!! Enough of that mush,

Let's define one who doesn't believe in love:

  • One who can only see disaster when imagining a relationship.

  • One who believes it is foolish to run into some marriage because "I love him". (People are so full of it when they say that!! What do they even mean "I love him?" It can only mean: "until now, I have never felt like this and I guess it would be good to keep on feeling like this so I will get myself into an eternal bind with this person that I have known for all of two weeks." BULL ____!!!! I don't buy it!)

  • One who thinks a reception is just a waist of time and celebrating all the wrong things when it comes to a marriage. (I am the one getting married, you should be throwing me a party giving me food, not me spending my life savings so you can eat all you want, bring your annoying children to make a mess, and "make it up to me" by leaving me a target gift card. You keep your present, I'll keep my thousands of dollars, and we'll call it even.)

  • One who calls children "things."

  • One who has dreams galore that can only be fulfilled single.

  • One who is surrounded by newly wed best friends and is left grasping for any shred of desire to have what they have only to realize there isn't even the thought of a shred.

  • One who gets utterly upset when one hears "women can't do _____ alone" or "you'll need a guy to help you . . . " or "I'll just marry someone rich so I can . . ." (NO, yes I am just a woman with out a man by my side, but I can do anything I want to do. Just because I am not married, it won't keep me from the things I dream of.)



Many aspects from each definitions are part of my daily internal thought process. How is it possible to be a hopeless romantic that doesn't believe in love? I don't know, it just happens.










4 comments:

Camille said...

Oh!!! HEARTS IN HIDING!!! Love.

Anyway, yes, I know the exact things you speak of. I'm even married and kind of feel that way--how does THAT happen??? Weird.

Lindsey said...

Oh Gus! And that is just on of the reasons I love you!

And of course you should read Hearts in Hiding every year :o)

RatalieNose said...

This was fantastic!!!! I can empathize with the first half only...

Jami said...

Hi Chelsie. My name is Jami Parker Pitts. I haven't ever really gotten to know you, but I have heard wonderful tales of how AWESOME you are! I loved this last post...I wasn't aware that you had a blog, but I am so glad I found it. You are so witty! I have stayed up MAY of nights watching Gray's...and lauging and crying. I love my fictional friends. I can't wait till next weeks premier!!!
Anyways, I don't know how you are both...but it is kinda like having the best of both worlds. If that makes any sense at all!