Saturday, September 6, 2008

A travel log:
Fort Stockton vs Indio

-TEXAS

Recently I went on a road trip to Texas. There and back in three days. It was amazing. It was a weekend full of discoveries. The most important being the discovery of Heroes; however, the discoveries didn't start nor stop at that. On the way to our destination we became famished and so was Stella, she was completely depleted of fuel.With the use of a bright green sign, the highway informed us of an up coming town...

"FORT STOCKTON next right."



Gullible as two girls who have been driving all day (and a sleeping Brandon in the back seat)can be we drove right into the Twilight Zone. The first three gas stations we passed were abandoned. How does that even happen when you are located off of a busy highway and with gas prices as absurd as they are? Finally, seconds before the last drop of fuel was used, we found a functioning gas station.



We filled Stella to her max and then set off in search for the toco bell that was advertised on a bright blue highway sign. We searched and searched and searched for that place only to discover an abandoned caboose!!! Not to be let down, we took advantage of a bad situation by taking pictures. These pictures involved safari hats and a side of Brandon that I had never seen before. We also met some amazing ladies (come to think of it, they just showed up out of no where. I bet they were witches!!!!) who took our pictures in return for a safari hat of their own.


Once the taco bell was found, we soon discovered that it was closed. What time were we going through Fort Stockton? 7:30 P.M., that's when. What taco bell closes that early? Holding onto our nerves we drove to our next choice: Sonic. Spairing you the long dreadful details, we left 45 minutes later without food and without patience. We had been "soniced". Leaving the largest fast food restaraunt as our last and only option.



Fort Stockton will never be forgotten.
Not for it's amazing quaintness or insainly nice citizans, but for it's taco bell and sonic. What a legand!!


-California




This weekend, I was on yet another road trip with my sister, going to California. We were in a similar situation, needing to go pee that is. So we see a sign for a city "Indio". (What does it even mean?) It looked like a small town from the highway but we could see the clear signs of a target in the not to far distance, so we decided to give the city a chance.


We couldn't have bee more wrong!!! We parked at the target, pretty far back because it was packed with cars, and walked to the front door. There was a greeter at the door.

My thought, "I don't remember Target having greeters."
Greeter, "Oh are you guys here to come to target?"
Thought, "Since this is the only place in sight, we are obviously headed to the closest Pottery Barn!! MORON!!"
Me, "yes indeed, right here to target. The happiest place on Earth."
Greeter, "This target isn't open yet, it won't be until October."
Thought, "What the heck are all these cars doing here?"
Me, "well, then do you know where I can find someplace with a bathroom?"
Greeter, "There's a gas station up the road."
Thought, "Well, that wasn't a complete loss, we do need gas too. I'll just kill two birds with one stone."

We soon found the gas station closest to the target. And no sooner did we find out that there were no gas pumps, nor a bathroom.




Thought, "I won't be killing one or two birds but I if I stay here any longer, I'll kill myself."

To make things worse, we got back on the highway to a different part of Indio, not giving up yet, and went to a different gas station. Still no bathroom, but they did have gas. The sign said 3.97 which in and of it's self is absurd but then as I was about to pull the trigger on the nozzle, the actual pup's sign said 4.49 (there would be a photo of that too, but it turned out fuzzy and I refuse to post it). Not joking around anymore, I sent my sister in to ask for my money back (since I knew I had depleted my tolerance for morons) and we left Indio still needing gas and still needing to relieve our little bladders.



Needless to say, I am having a hard time deciding which city was worse; Fort Stockton or Indio?

I guess it doesn't matter any more, I just never want to be caught in either one of them again.

Save yourselves the trouble on your next road trips and steer clear of Fort Stockton and Indio.




3 comments:

Camille said...

Ha! Indio: "What does it even mean?" I loved that. Also loved the part about not killing one OR two birds with any stones, but possibly killing yourself.

lindsay said...

ohhh road trips...they do sound lovely! and i love the train picture! beau-ti-mus!

{i actually had something clever to comment...but once i started typing, i completely spaced it. i hate it when i do that.}

Kristi Kleisler said...

Wait- Indio is not that bad, I stop at the In and Out Burger there when I go to Cali!! I don't know about this Fort Stockton place, but Indio is a-ok in my book!