Tuesday, November 18, 2008

fer

What's "fer" dinner?

I'm going to the zoo "fer" the day.

What you doing that "fer"?

What's that look "fer"?

Did we need a works cited "fer" that paper?

What are you getting her "fer" Christmas?

I've been sick "fer" the past three days?

The phones "fer" you.

I know I am a culprit of saying this myself. But why do we do it? Is it an Arizona thing? It sounds like we have thrown one word from the southern drawl into our accent. If one why not all, or if just one why any at all?

Do you use "fer"?

4 comments:

lindsay said...

shoot. i am so guilty. Now it's gonna bug me and i'm gonna drive myself crazy whenever i say it. it's like when you think about how many times you say "like" in a conversation...you'll go insane.

Holly Janeen said...

yes, yes i do.
i didnt even know i did it until i served my mission and half the people didnt understand me. i had to repeat myself several times... and then my companion pointed out to me my Arizona drawl.
yay.

Jami said...

AHH, it kinda makes me happy that us Arizona people have something to claim. I am always jealous of people back east b/c they have a cold way to talk. But now I know that at least I have "fer"!

Camille said...

Of course I do.