Wednesday, October 29, 2008

Them Dutch, they're ahead of their time!!!

Maybe I wouldn't HATE school now if I had learned this earlier...

POLDER, not boulder, or folder, or
shoulder but POLDER!!!



(Brown area=polder)


As I sat watching 6 hours of lecture on my very favorite black computer, TIBBER,

I was enlightened to a new fact. The definition and explanation of a polder. At the start of the 11th century, the dutch found them selves in a plight. Too many people and not enough land. What are they going to do? Well, remember in the bible how at different times there was destruction and many of the lands were sunk into the water? Well, them dutch remembered that too. In fact they thought it wasn't fair that such a thing would happen to such a good piece of land so they resurrected said lands. They made all sorts of ingenious inventions to make the water drain off the land so they could make use of such a valuable resource. Canals are used widely to take water away, also with windmills to keep unwanted water out, and the use/construction of dikes to make the city higher and further away from the water they are avoiding. How could I have gone all my life and not known of this amazing thing known as a POLDER???? Have you ever heard of it? If not, I hope I have opened your eyes to the amazing things that can happen. I however, would never live on such land. I mean if God sunk it once, who's to say he won't do it again?

4 comments:

Camille said...

No, I had no idea! I feel like my life is complete, now that I know this!

lindsay said...

sunken land can be no good...i'm with you...i'd never live there. it's on my black list - right there with Oklahoma (or any other state in "Tornado Alley". Are you kidding me?! How could ANYONE live in a place nicknamed THAT?!?!?!)

Anonymous said...

Don't we have that kind of thing here? New orlines? I think we saw how good an idea that was several years ago.

bRAD

PS thanks for posting!

Geevz said...

Dang, bRAD stole my comment. Still ingenious though. And the reclaimed land is awesome for growing things as well.